Friday, April 23, 2010

Three Years of Marriage...What I've Learned

1. We're both pretty much the same people we were 3 years ago...he still leaves the toilet seat up, I still steal all of the covers, etc. Luckily we were both pretty happy with what we got in the first place...neither of us needed to be "fixed."

2. It's never okay to fight dirty...yes we get on each other's nerves sometimes and argue, but no we do not scream and yell and say really hurtful things when there's a disagreement. If we did, I think we would be really unhappy...which leads me to #3

3. Communication is key! When we're upset about something...we talk about it, compromise, and move on...what a concept! I don't think we will be needing Dr. Phil's help anytime soon : )

4. Babies change everything before they're even here...but not always for the worst! We are so much closer even though the past few months have been pretty stressful. We know that we can always count on each other even when things are not perfect.

5. It's okay to have our own hobbies and friends. Josh likes to tinker with his toys outside and talk engines with his buddies while I like to shop and go to lunch with my friends. We both have big smiles on our faces at dinner and enjoy each other's company even more after one of those days every once in awhile.

6. It's still important to take time for just the two of us. Even when we're tired, overworked, overstressed, or just plain grumpy, we still spend time every day just talking about whatever to one another. Date nights help too!

7. Always do SOMETHING special on the wedding anniversary. This year since I literally have NO energy, we settled for a quick breakfast and even went to a movie. I don't think he noticed when I fell asleep midway through the movie. Even if it's getting take out and spending time at home together, it's always nice to spend special time together on that special day.

8. I really don't know THAT much though, and I'm okay with that. I'm still learning, but I'm happy that the past three years have literally flown by mostly because it's been a lot of fun being married to Josh. I guarantee someone who has been married a long time has better advice on marriage stuff than me... I might be laughing (or crying) at this list a year from now AFTER the kiddos arrive...who knows...we'll see!! Here's to many, many more anniversaries to come for us : )

1 comments:

Rawson Family said...

Isn't married life better then signal life. Congrats to three years, and good luck to many more!;)